I apologize for how long it’s been since I last posted here. I am working in Charleston this summer and living in the dorms. I don’t have any of my cooking or photography supplies here, and I’ve been just cooking the bare minimum.
I made ginger simple syrup for Skinny Mules, but a girl can only drink so many Skinny Mules. My mom suggested using some of the syrup in a cake, and these were born.
They don’t have a super intense ginger and lime flavor, but you can kick it up a notch if you want. I usually prefer a really intense, in your face, ginger flavor. You can also use your favorite white or yellow cake mix, or use a boxed mix.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-3 inches of ginger root
- 1 batch of cake batter, prepared (either use your favorite cake or make a batch of boxed mix)
- zest of 1 lime, plus more for topping if you’d like
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- To make the simple syrup: Combine 1/2 cup water and the ginger, and heat until the water boils. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Let cool.
- Make the batter. Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare the cake batter, and then add the ground ginger, lime zest, and lime juice. Place 1/4 cup of batter in each cake wrapper. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Ice the cupcakes. Once the cupcakes are completely cool, make the icing. Beat the butter until pale yellow, and then add 2 tablespoons simple syrup. Brush the top of the cupcakes with the simple syrup, and then pipe the icing on.