Have you ever needed a cake for something, but you’ve already spent your budget for the week? Here comes this cake! You can make your own batter, but buying a box mix is easier and probably cheaper.
Now, I used to be such a mix snob. I was so committed to the from-scratch life that I thought mix cakes were inferior. However, I’ve reconsidered. Mix cakes are cheap, they’re easy, and they always turn out well. Add your own cheesecake, and a bit of fresh fruit or ganache or both, and you’re bound to impress whoever you bring this cake to.
For the cake –
- 1 box prepared cake mix (or your favorite cake batter if you’re feeling fancy)
- 1 – 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cooking spray or oil to grease the bundt pan
For the ganache – (1:2 ratio)
- 1/4 heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the fruit sauce –
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Prepare the cake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease the bundt pan. Prepare the mix according to the directions on the box. Mix the cream cheese with the egg and sugar until smooth.
- Bake the cake. Pour 75% of the batter into the greased bundt pan. Then, put the cream cheese in an even layer around the bundt pan, and then top with the remaining cake batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted.
- Make the toppings. For the ganache – Heat the cream until just boiling. Pour over chocolate chips, and wait 5-7 minutes until the chocolate chips melt. Stir until the ganache is smooth and chocolate-y. This may take awhile, but keep stirring. For the fruit sauce – Chop the strawberries small, and then add the sugar. Wait until the water is drawn out of the strawberries, or whirl in a blender.
- Prepare. Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and let cool. Top with the toppings, enjoy, and serve!