Do we really need another recipe for avocado toast? It’s become a Thing, and a quick search on Pinterest will bring up hundreds of options. However, I would say Yes, We do need another recipe for avocado toast. Because, most of the avocado toast recipes focus on expensive, drawn – out, probably boozy brunches with friends. While I think those are fun (especially at the cute little diner downtown), that’s not what this blog is about. This blog is about me sharing my expensive, time-consuming favorite foods, except changed to be faster and cheaper.
Here we go. You’ll need a ripe avocado, some good bread, and an egg. I baked the bread I used in this recipe, because I like to bake. It’s walnut and blue cheese sourdough, and I’ve made it twice in 24 hours. It’s that good. BUT, you can make this with any good bread. Or bad bread. Just find some bread, ok?
Serves: 1, but scales up well. Difficulty: Easy
- A slice or two of bread (I used two because they were small and I made them, but if you have conventional bread, you may use one)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 avocado
- Toast the bread. Toast the bread however you like it.
- Fry the egg. Place a heavy-bottom pan over medium-low heat (like 3-5). Once it’s warm, put a bit of oil in the pan. Crack an egg into the pan, and leave it alone! It will cook slowly. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the egg white is set but the yolk is still mostly runny.
- Assemble the toast. Peel the avocado slowly. Slice very thinly, or mash. Place or spread on the toast, then season with salt and pepper (I like kosher salt). Top with the egg. Serve, and enjoy!
- The fresher the egg, the less it will spread in the pan. If you’re like me and never remember to check the freshness when you buy it, you can move the edges carefully while it’s cooking.
- Also, this would be really good with the Everything Bagel Minus the Bagel spice (Pictured).
- Also, the blue background peeking out is my take on TheFoodScape.com’s Deep Sea Background. Her’s is better and I’m completely obsessed with how that background looks in her photos. Also, her photos in general. Go check her out!