I made this salad (with taking photos) in less than half an hour. Seriously. You just slice the chicken, put it on the stove, supreme the orange, slice the kale, and make the dressing. Then, combine and eat. Really. It’s that easy.
Supreming an orange takes some practice, but it is pretty fast and leaves you with perfect orange segments. Slice the top and bottom off, and then slice rind off. The goal is to get all of the white pith, and none of fruit. It’s difficult, but it is the most efficient way to do it. Then, lay the ‘naked’ fruit on top of your fingers, and locate the sections.
Slice down to the middle of the section, as close to the pith as possible. Then, flick your wrist to get the knife under the segment. The first one is the hardest.
A perfect supreme!
Repeat for each section! Definitely do this over a bowl, so that you catch all of the orange juice.
Now, for the rest of the salad. You just need chicken, kale, vinegar, and oil.
Serves 2. Time 25 minutes.
- 2 oranges, supremed as shown above
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 bunch kale (for me it was about 7 leaves)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (hopefully whatever is left over from supreme-ing the orange)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus some for cooking the chicken
- Salt and Pepper
- Slice the chicken breast into thin strips. Place a pan over high heat, and add enough oil to barely cover the bottom. Add the chicken, and cook, stirring, until done. Add salt and pepper to taste. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the kale. Fold the kale in half along the stem, and then run a knife near it to destem the kale. Then, slice into bite-sized pieces so you won’t have to use a knife to cut any pieces on your plate.
- Next, mix the salad dressing by whisking the oil, vinegar and orange juice.
- Lastly, prepare the salad, by putting the kale in a bowl, and lay the oranges and chicken on top. Pour the dressing on.
You could meal prep this, by cooking the chicken and cutting up the kale. Store them in different containers.
Optional – Add a tablespoon or two of pine nuts.