Cabbage rolls are simple and delicious and great comfort food. They take a little bit of preparation to put together, but after that, just stick it in a crock pot and walk away.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1/2 pound of sausage, or 2-3 sausages with the casing taken off
- 1 tsp. fennel
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- Heat a large pot of water to boil on the stove, and set out a bowl of ice water. Take the outside few leaves off the cabbage, and then de-core it by carefully sticking a small knife in the bottom and going in a circle. Take a cone of the cabbage stem out of the bottom.
- Once the water is boiling, place the cabbage in the water for 4-5 minutes, in order to loosen and soften the leaves. Then, carefully place the cabbage in the ice water.
- Once the cabbage is cool enough to touch, peel some leaves off and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rice, sausage, fennel and salt and pepper. Then, take about 2 teaspoons of the mixture and place on a cabbage leaf, curved side up. Roll the cabbage roll tightly, and set aside. Repeat for all of the mixture and cabbage.
- If needed, repeat the boiling/ice water process once you get to the middle of the cabbage.
- Layer the tomatoes and rolls in a crock-pot, and set it to low.
- Cook for 5-6 hours and enjoy!