Today is National Curried Chicken Day! I made curried lentils with veggies. This is a hearty, healthy weekday recipe, ready in a few minutes. It is spicy and delicious, although
Serves – 4
Time – About 30 minutes, give or take.
- 1.5 cups lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Thai Curry paste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 small gold potatoes, diced small
- 1 diced bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup veggie or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Place lentils in a saucepan, and cover with cold water. Cook on high heat for 20 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat spices in a large, dry frying pan, over medium-high heat. Cook for about 30 seconds, or until mustard seeds start to pop.
- Add oil and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes (with can liquid), almond milk and pepper. Cook until potatoes are tender (about fifteen minutes). If more liquid is needed, add more broth or water.
- When lentils are done and potatoes tender, drain the lentils and add them to the rest of the curry.
- Serve and enjoy. It is really good with sour cream.